We're just 2 crazy sister's who had crazy parents that named us day's of the week. One of us has been book blogging for over 6 year's. After reading many different books and arguing who's book boyfriend was better. One of us convinced the other to start a book blog called #WhyChoose. Because honestly why does one book boyfriend have to be better than the other? Or why do you only need to have one?

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Secrets at Montclair Academy {Book Review}


Title: Secrets at Montclair Academy 
Author: Ashlee Wahl
Genre: Young Adult/Reverse Harem

Book Description:

My parents were drug addicts my entire life. I had to learn how to take care of myself at a very young age and learn how to defend myself in a neighborhood that was less than perfect.

 Now, my parents have passed away because of an overdose and I'm being shipped off to Arizona with the only family member I have left. A family member, I don't know. 

My aunt is rich and I don't belong here, and the people of the Academy know it. 

I wasn't prepared to walk into this world, and I definitely wasn't prepared for the secrets that hide among the walls of the academy.

 The ASH crew is suspicious of me, they think I'll mess up their perfect city. 

These perfect gorgeous guys are my downfall, and they have secrets of their own.

My Review:

So first I want to say that this is a new to me author, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect going to this book. I also want to say that I have been sitting on my review for about a week as I read this book right in the middle of moving. Was that a good idea? Probably not... But it at least gave me something to do when I needed some down time and had no internet for a few day's, LOL!!! 

Anyway's back to my review, this book is categorized as a Young Adult/Reverse Harem book. I have to say that I do enjoy reading Young Adult books, there one of my secret gulity pleasures in reading. Also I have been on a Reverse Harem/Academy kick for the past year & a half. So when I saw the description for this book I thought it was right up my alley. I do want to add that most books in this category are also Bully books, so if you're looking forward to that aspect I have to say that this really isn't a Bully book. Although it does with some light bullying, ie: name calling from the rich kids, that's about it. Other than that other aspects of this book are what I expected to come from this type of book.

Main Character looses or has lost a parent/parents? Check....
Mean Rich Kids? Check...

Let's talk about Adelena, aka Lena, she's a young girl, almost adult, who looses both her parents on the same day to an apparent drug overdose. Now she finds herself in a new city, new state, having to live with an Aunt she has no clue about, since her mother had been abandoned by her family when she decided to have a relationship with Lena's dad. I have to say that Lena's character was alright, she was likable for me. But honestly nothing really stood out about her to me. She wasn't a pushover, and she defenitly didn't seem to let anything seem to bug her. 

The ASH crew, they are evidently the head boy's in charge, I want to say they were supposed to be the Mean boys. The cool, arrogant, head boy's of Montclair Academy that all the girls want, but I have to say they weren't really that mean. I will say that Huntley was definitely my favorite by far, with Sawyer coming in a close second we really didn't get to know him much. Than Aiden coming in third.

I want to start by saying that I Did enjoy this book, that there were enough twists and turns that I didn't see coming that kept me interested in the story. As for the Reverse Harem part of the book, eh we just kinda scratched the surface of it and I'm hoping that it will pick up in the second book. I will also say that this book definitely left me with some questions. But here is also the thing with this book I feel like sometimes author's add thing's that just don't need to be added to Young Adult books, that sometimes just make the book feel a bit unbelievable and pull you away from the enjoyment of the book/books. As I said I Did enjoy this book and it did keep me interested enough that I will be reading the next one. 

I'm giving this book 3.5 Stars out of 5 and can't wait for book 2!!!




Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from Enticing Journey Book Promotions for my honest review. The opinions in this post are 100% of #WhyChoose Book Boyfriend Book Blog's and may differ from others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment